Rules + Regulations
Want to know if you can apply? Please review the rules and regulations below in full to ensure your business is eligible. You can also review the Frequently Asked Questions page here.
The Alberta Central Big Future Innovation Grant is open only to Alberta businesses that, at the time of entry, qualify as eligible for-profit small businesses (as defined in the small business criteria section). Applicants must be legal residents of Alberta who at the time of entry are independent owners/operators or authorized agents of an eligible for-profit small business and at least 18 years of age.
Applicants must be able to show proof of their existing business within their application through a corporation number or business license. Winners will need a valid government issued ID and a credit union business account to receive the grant money, which will be deposited into the credit union business account. Limit of one application per business.
Small business criteria
To be considered an “eligible for-profit small business” for purposes of this grant, the business must meet all the following criteria:
- Based in Alberta;
- Currently active, lawful, and have all necessary and required licenses and registrations;
- In good standing with the requirements of applicable legislation as of the date of submission and must remain so through the end of the notification period;
- Have no more than 99 employees on its payroll at the time of submission (sole proprietors are considered as an employee and part-time employees are included); and
- In continuous operations for not less than one year as of October 1, 2023.
The following are excluded:
- Business owner or an investor in the business is a previous or current employee of Alberta Central, any co-operatives under Alberta Central or any joint ventures of Alberta Central;
- Business is in any way affiliated with a credit union as a vendor or supplier;
- Business is a non-profit;
- Primary purpose of the business is in competition with Alberta Central or any co-operatives under Alberta Central;
- Business or business owner that has a criminal record or is listed on any Canadian or United Nations sanction list;
- Business or business owner that is under bankruptcy protection or has judicial liens or attachments; and
- Business or business owner that has previously won an Alberta Central Big Future Innovation Grant or other grant/scholarship offered by Alberta Central including the Women in Ag grant or 2023 Scholarships program.